Thursday, 1 May 2008

Watercolours 1

I have recently taken on the challenge of learning how to paint with watercolours. Basically I needed a medium that was a bit "faster" than pencils (so I thought), and I am not keen on having to frame every painting (as with pastels). I also thought that in time, watercolours would allow me to do a bit of multi-media by combining the best of pencils, pastels and the watercolour themselves...



I has been a hard road...

This is my very first attempt... Nice leaves on the ground, but it was not going to work...


The second try had a bit more potential, but soon I realised that composition was lacking...

On the third try I was feeling a bit more confident about my progress. I still think that the picture is not working, so at this stage it is resting on the side and I will tackle it again at a later date...

Launching into Life (2008)
Watercolour on Arches 300 gsm

Launching into Life is the first watercolour I considered finished, the mistakes abound, but I am happy that it conveys the message. This is a picture of my son jumping on a trampoline, I prefer to think of us parents as providing the support he needs to launch into life safely...

"Brincos de Princesa" is still work in progress... I am receding the foliage into the background and tackling her hair (that is me by the way - a long time ago, granted!). The frilly hybiscus were a favourite of my grandfather and he called them 'princess earrings'. Since painting One Love, I have been wanting to do a series of happy moments... this is the first one.

No comments: